This is what happened today. I went out to get a haircut ( a very cool funky one I must add) . It was at Under The Tree in Colaba and I came back to meet a friend at Churchgate. Just before reaching her house I went to this supermarket right outside the station to buy a toothpaste and tongue scraper to use at her house ( long story).I walked into the store bought the items and was standing in line to pay. This really poor pregnant lady was in front of me. She had no shoes on her feet. She had gone to the food section and bought mini idlis. She had 20 rupees in her hand. THe lady at the cash counter said I can't give you the food because you don't have change( the idlis were 12 rupees) and I was watching all of this. I asked the poor lady what had happened and she said that the lady at the counter was not letting her buy the idlis because she did not have change.
It was then that I got really angry. I had like a physical reaction ( I've had it before - I hope my yoga classes help) where I can feel the anger in me rising up. I told the lady at the cash counter that if I had asked for change you would have given it to me and that she had no right to deny anybody anything.By this time I was trembling with anger and the lady at the counter was mumbling some shit about change being a problem.I made the poor lady wait and take the idlis and I also bought my stuff.
She wasn't robbing anything , she was just dressed badly........I wanted to chew the lady at the counter's head off.Everyday when I look out of my car, cab, train or rick I know that I am blessed. Everyday when I see someone unfortunate I just thank the lord. I don't know how I would survive with people robbing me of my dignity everyday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment