Im born and brought up in Mumbai city but never ventured to Shivaji Park till yesterday when my Bengali friends from college took me there for Durga Puja. Shivaji Park is one of Mumbai's largest grounds situated very centrally at Dadar.Apparently the Puja here is the biggest one in Mumbai.Indians are fanatic about their festivals. Bengalis are no exception.Enticed by some delicious Bengali fare ( another thing Indians are fanatic about ~ their food) it was easy for the entire marketing group, (with some HR guys) who are as it is brain fried, to take a break and make their way to the park.

India is the land of many Gods. Durga Pooja is the biggest festival for Bengali Hindus who worship Goddess Durga the Goddess of Power during this time.I think she kicks ass because of the many hands that she has.....she is always the most memorable one for me. She killed Maheshasoora (a demon). The picture below shows him at her feet .

Maheshasoora was disguised as a bull and you can see him emerge from it.There is Goddess Durga's Lion and even Hanuman at her side.She is Lord Shiva's wife and you can see him pop up at the top of her crown.

Hmmmm now for the best part the food.........That's Orijit pointing at plate of Moghalai roti ( egg rolls with chicken stuffing ) I think Dilip is holding the fish (fillets with mustard......yummy) and Saumya has the chicken rolls.

We had one eating session at the stalls itself coz we just could not resist.That's Pablo (from Left) who was a great host.He was speaking in Bengali the whole time so we got complimentary fish but he sucked at bargaining when the girls took him to buy ear-rings.He kept telling them to 'buy now' so they sent him away.Safir is next to him and then Sagar who screams at people for everything. Of course that's Ori's face he is full of "masti" (mischief)

Then we shifted the eating to some benches and stools that were put up. Ori decided to sit on the grass he proclaimed that he has no vices ( doesn't drink, doesn't smoke) only eats and it shows! I have so many pictures of us eating that is is embarrasing ..........hahahaah! We tried the fish chops, prawn chops, chicken and mutton curry, chicken rolls,moglai rotis u name it !And washed it all down with Thumbs Up!
If people would pay me I could make a living going around my country checking the spelling and grammar on the signposts and banners.Obviously you can spot the mistake in the picture below.But don't be fooled the Sweats are awesome!

Bengali's have a sweet tooth too and there was Rasgulla's,Rasmalai,Gujja,Gulab Jamun etc. I couldnt eat any desert by the time I finished dinner. But hey I packed up some 'Mishti Doi' (flavoured yoghurt) which comes in these clay pots and is my favorite.

Well people were running around exploring things so I couldn't get a snap of the entire group together.There's(from left) Pablo,Safir,Harshal,Oreo Cookie, Sujoy ( whose a visiting professor) Mukta and Moi! Please take notice of my favorite bag which I have got loads of compliments for!!!!

This picture has (from left ) Dilip,Namita, Guneet, Raj,Moi,Mukta and Safir.......
I will be becoming a post grad soon ( a minority in my country) I think the things I learnt most was outside the classroom interacting with my peers. The one thing I think I can say definitely was a learning for me was interacting with people from small towns. I take my city for granted and even though It's not perfect I am so glad I was born in Mumbai.When I was growing up I used to visit Poona ( a town very close to Mumbai) a lot and people used to treat me really nicely because I was from Mumbai. Of course I didnt find any difference. But only in Mumbai can women travel alone till 12 pm, Mumbai has the film studios and the best jobs and a future for the youth since it is also considered the financial capital. Unlike our capital it is the only place where everyone is welcome and not necessarily only because of the amount of money they have. It is meritocratic to a certain degree, cosmopolitan, savvy and smart.Just like the people ;)

Bengali's have a sweet tooth too and there was Rasgulla's,Rasmalai,Gujja,Gulab Jamun etc. I couldnt eat any desert by the time I finished dinner. But hey I packed up some 'Mishti Doi' (flavoured yoghurt) which comes in these clay pots and is my favorite.

Well people were running around exploring things so I couldn't get a snap of the entire group together.There's(from left) Pablo,Safir,Harshal,Oreo Cookie, Sujoy ( whose a visiting professor) Mukta and Moi! Please take notice of my favorite bag which I have got loads of compliments for!!!!

This picture has (from left ) Dilip,Namita, Guneet, Raj,Moi,Mukta and Safir.......
I will be becoming a post grad soon ( a minority in my country) I think the things I learnt most was outside the classroom interacting with my peers. The one thing I think I can say definitely was a learning for me was interacting with people from small towns. I take my city for granted and even though It's not perfect I am so glad I was born in Mumbai.When I was growing up I used to visit Poona ( a town very close to Mumbai) a lot and people used to treat me really nicely because I was from Mumbai. Of course I didnt find any difference. But only in Mumbai can women travel alone till 12 pm, Mumbai has the film studios and the best jobs and a future for the youth since it is also considered the financial capital. Unlike our capital it is the only place where everyone is welcome and not necessarily only because of the amount of money they have. It is meritocratic to a certain degree, cosmopolitan, savvy and smart.Just like the people ;)

4 comments:
... i miss cal. even more now.
Wow.. That must have been fun, these 9 days for navratri are the most special ones in the year for me, even more than diwali and ganpati! Very aptly put.. food, festivals,fun and fanatics :)
Keep writin babes, love u..
Neha
Be it ever so crowded, there's just no place like amchi Mumbai? I hear you, lady! :-)
Post a Comment