Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Recurrent themes
We were sitting around a my friends dining table a while back and talking about feminism. The 2 women with me were arts majors and had studied about the concept in college.One girl, lets call her girl 1 was adamant about the fact that she was a feminist. Her friend (girl2) was protesting that girl 1 was not, this was because her idea of feminism was the bra burning , extremist women kind. Girl 1 went on to explain that anyone who stands up for women's rights is a feminist and that can be in the most non-violent way even through dialogue.

I've known Girl 1 for a long time and I believe she is a feminist.She picks up on things that would never occur to me.People have called me a feminist (actually just men cause I think they just get threatened if a lady even opens her mouth) but many times I turned a blind eye to things that were unjust to women. And now my final project is related to women & I have met up with a few women who travel alone.

The whole Scarlett Keeling episode has left me wondering where does one draw the line.I am totally aghast at the fact that a mother would leave her 16 year old daughter alone in Goa! Of course this is no excuse for what happened. Going to goa on holiday, I've always found it to be a very safe place for women. But I have never been there alone! Now I am seriously thinking of doing a project on the way women travel across the world , because I think cultural differences have a lot to do with it.I don't know....I am still contemplating the whole issue.

On happier note, I have to share my favorite picture on a recent trip to goa.

No we didnt get hit on...most of the men were really friendly and not 1 creepy vibe was felt.Lets just hope that travelling for women (alone in groups whatever) gets a lot safer and people like me can open my mouth when the time comes.

No comments: