Wednesday, February 13, 2008

China House, Exams, Backpackers & Mumbai city and Weird guys & Electric rackets .......what do you have with this combination? A regular day in my life.....
I bought my dad one of those electric rackets for killing mosquitoes. He loves using it....it's making its presence felt in most indian household's.....must say that it is a new revolution catching up this side of the world..
If you want to know how Indian you are go out with people from other nationalities.That maybe obvious to you but it wasnt to me. I have friends of all faiths and communities but we are all Indian so there is this immediate understanding even with a few differences.When your shaking your head from side to side to say yes and the other person doesnt understand its obvious he/she is not Indian."Yes" generally means shaking your head up and down.I didn't even know that 'I' did that, I thought probably it was those other indians ........hehehe....small things like that...
Thinking of Backpacking .....1) Indian women don't travel alone
2) Indian women do not travel with men usually
3) Indian women are really comfortable travelling with other women
I guess those are facts that I can't refute ( from the group Women travellers in India).I think I can relate to them.Well me and my friend neha have this "resolution" for lack of a better word.This year we are going to do something we have never done in our entire lives. Though there is going to be no pay back if someone doesn't do it cause we are going to do it for ourselves. So mine neha is that "Im going to travel alone." And for Indian women travelling alone means going by train to some destination where they know the people etc.etc. But I mean travel alone and to a place I don't know a soul from adam either......of course I don't think I can print neha's resolution here but I'm sure she is going to do it too....
After interacting with women from other cities I've been asked for tips to go around here as a single woman. Also I would like to ask the Indian women out there is it because that we are from Mumbai (the big city) that we have this ingrained self preservation pointers to look after ourselves?I didn't realise that because I was born and brought up here that some things come naturally to me.
OK for some pointers for the ladies : (would encourage anyone else to add their points)
1) Travelling by trains is easy but never sit in empty compartments at whatever time it is. Leave the compartment at the next station and get into the filled one even if it is second class.
2) Indian trains are segregated with men and women separate. No offence to anyone but respect that fact and get into the ladies compartment whenever possible.
3) Avoid travelling at peak hours cause its tough for locals as well. As first time travellers it would be doubly tough. This is usually 8:45 am to 10am and 6pm to 10pm
4) Be confident and check fares carefully
5) Try and get back home by 12 pm.....our city is safe and there are usually people about. But usually after that time local women travel in groups and we would not travel solo as safe as it seems
6) My guest went out and got some indian clothes with me( she wanted to do that) you may want to do the same, or just generally cover up, in my experience locals in mumbai also get unwanted attention in tubes etc. so then you'll will need to be more alert
7)If there is a problem make a lot of noise attract as much attention as you can someone will help
8) Trust your instincts and take all the usual precautions you would in a big city, don't go down empty lanes,just avoid people who you don't want to talk to etc.
Before you come travelling here, join forums look at what the ladies are saying ....many women i know carry their gear as weapons,bags in front of their bodies, instead of their backs......
Check out this website that I have been posting on all my groups http://blog.blanknoise.org/
For the new year I hope whatever journey we are going on its going to be a good one!

No comments: