Monday, November 05, 2007

LOCUSTS FOR BREAKFAST

On the way to Panchgani we stopped for breakfast at our favourite place in Lonavla called "Kamats". It serves pure veg south indian food and I must say that it is yummy. But that morning for some reason the loos were overly infested with grasshoppers. When I say overly I mean overly ladies!!!!! You do not even want to know how fast me and my mum pee'd. Then I literally did hurdle race out of the bathroom. Just writing this for some well deserved sympathy not to mention a WARNING to the women about what to expect on any road trips. Though the loos at the highway restaurants are really quite clean and insect free!

This is what my dad said to us, which is a typically male thing to say. He said grasshoppers don't have teeth so they cant bite. So even if they do hop onto you they won't harm you in anyway. You think we're standing around waiting for that to happen?

4 comments:

IdeaSmith said...

Grasshoppers are novelty now. I live in mortal fear of cockroaches...

Also, in reply to your comment on my blog, Blogger allows for customizations on templates (I think you can even download templates from the net and load them onto Blogger). WP doesn't allow this.. :-( But it does have a wider selection of themes than Blogger and so I'm satisfied.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...I'm not really very tech-savvy.

JasonP said...

Uhh... well, technically they don't have *teeth* like we do, but they do have mandibles, which they *do* use for biting into the vegetation that they eat. How do you think ants bite?

Grasshoppers don't bite humans, though. Neither do locusts, as a matter of fact (as far as I know). Well, maybe if you really, really piss them off...

chrissynb said...

Thank you jasonp for the pleasant comment.....I neither want to know about their mandibles nor their teeth......have you felt one though...they have a very rough icky touch!!!

Ankur said...

I was in outback of recently... say about a month ago... this was road trip form Sydney to Adelaide... we where in a jeep 3 guys and 4 girls... now I don’t know how many of u have been in the outback of Australia... There is a reason why the brits in the early century made this a prison...we are in the middle of the desert doing about 150 KMH... (Crissy that’s kilometers per hr .. that how fast our jeep was going)...and then all of sudden the driver mike (Good man ) presses the breaks now we look around and there is not a soul in sight for I don’t know 100 kms but what we do see is a shadow coming towards us .. Our guide driver, drinking buddy, fire maker Mike tells is to pull up all the windows... so crissy u where OH MY GOD with juts a bathroom full of hoppers ,, now there was a full infestation of them .. They may be about a million or even the thousand million s...but the way they went right across... now till date we don’t know weather they where grasshoppers ,, crickets ,, moths .. No clue... but it sure was a sight... sorry it happened so fast... no camers... jonko did manage to get the camera out, but all she could get was blur photos......