LESSON 1
STEREOTYPES- I give them up. Really gonna make an honest effort not to think of a person in just one frame of reference ever. This sudden urge has come about because I have the bad luck of having in my class this year a certain Mr. P from Bandra. He has to be the worst of them. At first I thought I could probably tolerate is loud mouth and oft repeated jokes. But now I think I need not tolerate someone like him at all. Especially since the "Catholic" jokes have started.
Him repeating "men" all the time or asking if I've been to "Baazar" I dont blame him there are Bandra aunty's who talk like that. I think I even laughed at it once but to invent new ways to remind me of something quite frankly I am not has to be the heights of someone's narrow minded ness. He is more often than not ignored by most and that Is something else I will be doing.
But the fact is this. I am the only Catholic in my marketing class. And for a community that puts an emphasis on education this is a sad fact indeed. The other day when I was discussing this with my family and friends a lot of issues did come out. Why are we teaching our kids just to pray and not how to manage their finances.Why are we not telling them that being a graduate is not enough. Why are we letting them settle for a call centre job? Are their english speaking skills their only talent?
We are a warm and intelligent community. We have been bought up in an open atmosphere where we can talk to our parents about anything under the sun.They have given us freewill. Isnt it time that we started asking them the really tough questions that would help us achieve our true potential.In fact we should be carving our own paths and not sticking to the stereotypes that people like Mr.P lay out for us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree abt being a warm n intelligent community.. a few really really nice ppl i knw belong to it.. but eventually its all abt the kind of people v r.. Mr.P n his attitude wont get him far.. :)..
Post a Comment