Wednesday, May 09, 2007

WHERE'S THE HAPPINESS GONE?

Hey I found a bit in Nani Palkhivala's book that coincedes with my previous post
In his own words ...."In our obsession with Gross National Product, we have forgotten Gross National Happiness. Growth is concerned with the former, development with the latter."

Ok now to show you a contrast amongst thinking Indian men. I am doing my summer internship under a really nice fellow. He's an engineer and pretty sweet. The other day he told me "I am leaving my job but I really like my work here". So I was like then why are you leaving? He says" My family wants me to move into a higher grade." So I said listen "You know how satisfying your job is explain it to your parents." Then he smiled and said " My family said they would marry me (his exact words) when I became a grade 2 officer and now they are saying they will marry me when I become a grade 3 officer." So I said just find someone on your own. But no ways he was not to be shaken.Our conversation was damn funny.What are we going to do about these Indian men?Where are the Nani's of the world gone?

2 comments:

Kavin said...

hey chrsy...u seem 2 b totally on da cutting edge of global events!!! China's coming up with its own version of happiness index while bhutan has taken the lead already! There was an amazin article on this concept of happiness in the ET...will post the link soon!

Kavin

Pearl said...

wow Chrissy, to imagine that a guy actually said that! & here I am in the States with everyone asking me the same question- tell us about the arranged marriages in India, does a girl get to choose her guy.. will you get to choose your guy... and I try to explain that things are changing at least in the metropolitan cities... and then to think of the conversation u had with your colleague...